Friday, May 14, 2010

10 Scenes from The Vampire Diaries Season Finale, "Founder's Day"

And since the inception of this site was already late in the game, I decided to just start with rolling out thoughts about the finales of the different fall shows. Most are ending in the next couple of weeks, and I'm expecting a ton of excellent season finales soon. I'm especially looking forward to House, Chuck, Glee. But to ferry us through those other shows, we have one of my favorite new shows this season, The Vampire Diaries. It's got enough spunk and hot people in it to get me interested.

So let's get the ball rolling with the 10 Scenes from The Vampire Diaries Finale, "Founder's Day."

1. Oh brotherly banter! They've been fighting for the same girl since the 1860s that must be a record somewhere. And I still find it odd that they're brothers fighting over one girl. But hey, I'll roll with it.

Damon: "I'm here to eat cotton candy and steal your girl."
Stefan: "Don't start with me Damon."
Damon: "Oh, you started it Stefan with that whole 'I'm insecure and leave Elena alone speech. I'm enjoying that."
Stefan: "As long as you heard it."
Damon: "You have no sense of humor Stefan."
Stefan: "Actually, I have no sense of Damon humor."
Damon: "Damon humor? Hey look, I get it. I get it. I'm the better, hotter, superior choice and you're scared that now Katherine's out of the picture, I'll turn all my attention to Elena. But don't worry Elena is not Katherine."

2. Stefan reeks of jealousy here and even tries to make sure he's still the top choice by taking up the daddy issue with Elena and at the same time, chiming in a -1 for Damon.

Stefan: "I wanted to tell you before Damon dropped it on you in some typically inappropriate way."

3. Elena noticed the eye thing, which leads me to believe that she's been eyeing Damon for a while now. These two definitely have chemistry. I wouldn't be surprised if this developed more in Season 2.

Elena: "So I think you should stop with the flirty little comments and that eye thing that you do."
Damon: "What eye thing?"

4. Caroline is surprisingly sensible and insightful these past few episodes!

Tyler: "I said I was sorry."
Caroline: "You made out with his mother and then you beat him to a pulp. You're gonna have to do a little bit better than sorry."

5. Caroline wanted another go at it, but forgot that men settle differences in other ways, like fighting. Oh, wait. They did that already and it didn't work. And didn't she just say that it should be better than sorry in the other scene?

Caroline: "There's this time in freshman year when Bonnie and I wanted to fight. And we swore that we would never talk again."
Matt: "Caroline, give it a rest."

6. The Alaric-Damon bromance continues. So, looks like they've set aside their differences or is this the effect of the compulsion of Isobel in the previous episode?

Damon: "You keep those nifty little vampire killers in the car?"
Alaric: "Yeah, why do you ask?"
Damon: "Because this square is crawling with tomb vampires and I think we might need a stake or two."
Alaric: "Yeah, got it."

7. Jeremy and his emo tendencies take center stage, while Damon tries to be the good guy.

Jeremy: "Look, I know you think you took it away. But it's still there. Even if I can't remember why, I still feel empty, alone, and making me forget won't fix it. It won't fix what's really wrong."

The whole scene was a goldmine of Jeremy drama. I couldn't just let this other segment of that conversation go to waste.

Jeremy: "Anna said vampires don't have to feel pain. That they could turn it off, if they shut out their humanity."
Damon: "That's very true."
Jeremy: "Is it easier that way?"
Damon: "Is what easier?"
Jeremy: "Life."
Damon: "Life sucks either way Jeremy. But at least if you're a vampire, you don't have to feel bad about it, if you don't want to."
Jeremy: "Is that what you did?"
Damon: "I did it for a very long time. And life was a lot easier"

8. Bonnie suddenly becomes a badass witch. This dialogue coupled with her stare down of Stefan while she walks away was epic. It seems this finale does not favor a badass Stefan. Well, he had his turn already, anyway.

Bonnie: "You saw what I was able to do tonight. I know who I am now and if Damon spills so much as one drop of innocent blood, I'll take him down. Even if I have to take you with him."
Stefan: "Let's hope it doesn't come to that."
Bonnie: "Let's hope it doesn't."

9. Damon takes his shot at Elena to the glee of the Delena shippers. I'm such a sucker for these kinds of scenes though. My mouth fell to the floor when that peck on the cheek turned into a full-on kiss.

Damon: "You know I came into this town wanting to destroy it. But tonight, I found myself wanting to protect it. How does that happen? I'm not a hero Elena. I don't do good. It's not in me."
Katherine: "Maybe it is."
Damon: "No. That's reserved for my brother and you and Bonnie.Even though she was of reasons to hate me, but still [she] helped Stefan save me."
Katherine: "Why do you sound suprised?"
Damon: "Because she did it for you, which means somewhere along the way, you decided I was worth saving and I wanted to thank you for that."

10. Katherine severs Uncle Jon's fingers and then stabs him. Brutal, bloody and straight to the point. So that's how ruthless Katherine is!

Uncle John: "Katherine?"
Katherine: "Hello Jon. Goodbye John."

Honorable mention awards go to Uncle Jon staking Anna, while she was grasping his leg, as if begging to spare her at least for Jeremy's sake. I was literally telling the screen, "F*ck! Noooooo!" (And yes, it was in decreasing volume until it was just my mouth agape, once again.)

Now, wasn't that a satisfying season finale? What were your favorite ones? Care to share? Post away!

No comments: